Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet. The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan  Cain Somehow I was expecting more from this book. Ironically Susan Cain presents her views on Introversion better (see the excellent TED presentation)

Maybe part of the problem is that it is such a broad subject and Cain tries to cover so much ground that the text jumps around a lot - in short the sort of focus for which you would expect a Introvert to excel at is missing.

That said, Cain exposes the flawed thinking of schools, teachers, business seminars etc which extol the virtues of the extroverted, charismatic, easy communicators - making life miserable and very very tiring for those who really would prefer not to 'groupwork'.

I often wondered in my life if the problem was me or the 'rest of the world', and was forced to conclude that it was the latter some time ago, so I feel happily vindicated by the findings. Maybe the reason I am not more blown away by this book, is because, like many introverts, I have had to learn all these lessons myself so the the impact of being told them is less of a revelation. Maybe that suggests that I should have read something like this a long time ago, or perhaps the books intended audience is the extrovert? (but of course if I were a gregarious person, would I really be reading a book about understanding people who aren't outgoing?).

Perhaps I am over-thinking it as usual :)