To the Edge of the Sky: A Story of Love, Betrayal, Suffering, and the Strength of Human Courage - Anhua Gao To the Edge of the Sky is an autobiographical account of Anhua Gao, born into a family well up the Chinese Communist Party ladder and tracks her happy childhood with her family, her downfall after her parents death though the tumultuous times of the Great Leap Forward, The Cultural Revolution and the Tienanmen Square Massacre, and finally her escape from China in 1994 to the glorious land on the edge of the sky.

It is a very emotional journey. Many terrible things happened to Anhua, and to the Chinese people over this time which make you cry out in despair at the cruelty and inhumanity that people are capable of. Anhua is saved again and again by her determination and help of her friends. If she was not as well connected from her childhood as she was - enabling her to get 'favours' from important people, she would have surely died long ago in such desperate conditions.

The one niggle I have with the story is I have not idea if it is fiction or not - I have labelled it as non-fiction, for it is certain that all these despicable acts described here, and more, have been carried out in the name of ideology and fear in China, but is just seems implausible (to me) for it all to happen to one person. In any case, even if it is an allegory of abuses of many people with a little artistic licence here and there, it is still very powerful and I will look out for 'Red Spy' - Gao's next work.