The Goldilocks Enigma: Why Is the Universe Just Right for Life?

The Goldilocks Enigma: Why Is the Universe Just Right for Life? - P. C. W. Davies In the preface and acknowledgements Paul Davies cites his thanks to the John Templeton Foundation. This is the foundation that is responsible for supporting ‘pro god’ science (ahem) and trying to suppress what it considers ‘anti god’ science. This did not fill me with confidence with what was to come. The first half of the book was, however, very interesting. The latter stages went along with what you would expect from somebody who is supported by Templeton. Although Paul Davies does not support the view that the universe popped into existence on the whim of a benevolent and omnipotent deity, he does count this as a viable option alongside more contemporary ideas based on science and mathematics, then he goes onto postulate that at some point in the far future the universe itself may become god-like and creates itself in the past. I found the explanation for this to be somewhat dubious personally (though admit I am no physicist) and was ultimately felt that the purpose of the book was not to honestly try to explain why the universe is the way it is but to muddy the waters of existing rational explanations (blind luck, multiverse) and to somehow suggest that there is a god after all.