20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Scholastic Classics)

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Scholastic Classics) - Jules Verne My first complete book read on the Cybook reader. This could turn into a niggle list about the technology, but I will do my best to stick to the book!

Contrary to the film this is 20,000 leagues under the seas, that is moving around submerged for 20,000 leagues, not 20,000 leagues down. This was a surprise to me as I had, along with most of the population of the UK grown up with Kirk Douglas fighting a Kracken thousands of metres under the ocean,

In this case the story is more about the Scientific observations of Professor Arronax rather than the adventures of the down-to-earth Ned Land-Douglas character and while it is all very interesting (and way ahead of its time) it suffers a bit from being a tad boring when discussing endless classifications of fish and other sea creatures. The Nemo character is mysterious and we never learn why he has shunned the world (though we could probably take a good stab at it), the adventurous side interesting if ultimately to no end.

In short, this is very much a Victorian flight-of-fancy at a time when there was still much to know about the oceans and places on the world where people have never been. Entertaining enough, but not quite to the taste of this particular modern audience.