Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World - Lisa Randall I've had this on my to-read list for a while, so thought I ought to get to it. I have found Lisa Randell's communications on TV programs to be interesting and her views worth listening to.

The thrust of the book appears to be about the LHC, clearly something Randell is very enthusiastic about. While it is my fault for leaving it so long to read this book, the enthusiasm about 'what could be' discovered is a little out-dated (although this in itself is interesting, a lot on SuperSymmetry here which by now is well on the way to being a dead hypothesis) When she is talking about the LHC, Particle physics, cosmology and the areas with which she knows a great deal, she is very informative and it has been helpful in explaining what is going on under Geneva.

In other areas Randell's writing style is somewhat labyrinth, she constantly seems to be distracted by one anecdote or another and labours her points for far to long. YES I understand that scale of the observations is important, that observing things at the atomic scale is not the same as observing at the human or galactic scale, you've told me once, stop telling me!

Next the discussion about Religion vs Science. I didn't really feel engaged in this. Again the discussion flits around and I frankly lost the will take it in. Others seem to have a better grasp, or are better able to write on this – Dennett for example.

There is however some good stuff. Some interesting notes on the role of Galileo in the development of the scientific method which I did not know and will be looking up further, but Randell really should have written a book just about LHC/Physics and cut out the philosophy which she is unsuited for.